By Enrico Perla B.Sc. Computer Science University of Torino M.Sc. Computer Science Trinity College Dublin, Massimiliano Oldani
A advisor to Kernel Exploitation: Attacking the middle discusses the theoretical suggestions and methods had to increase trustworthy and potent kernel-level exploits, and applies them to assorted working structures, specifically, UNIX derivatives, Mac OS X, and home windows. suggestions and strategies are provided categorically in order that even if a particularly unique vulnerability has been patched, the foundational info supplied can help hackers in writing a more recent, greater assault; or support pen testers, auditors, and so on enhance a extra concrete layout and protective constitution.
The ebook is equipped into 4 elements. half I introduces the kernel and units out the theoretical foundation on which to construct the remainder of the booklet. half II specializes in varied working structures and describes exploits for them that focus on a variety of malicious program sessions. half III on distant kernel exploitation analyzes the results of the distant state of affairs and provides new concepts to focus on distant matters. It contains a step by step research of the improvement of a competent, one-shot, distant make the most for a true vulnerabilitya trojan horse affecting the SCTP subsystem present in the Linux kernel. eventually, half IV wraps up the research on kernel exploitation and appears at what the longer term may perhaps hold.
- Covers more than a few working process households ― UNIX derivatives, Mac OS X, Windows
- Details universal eventualities equivalent to known reminiscence corruption (stack overflow, heap overflow, etc.) matters, logical insects and race conditions
- Delivers the reader from user-land exploitation to the realm of kernel-land (OS) exploits/attacks, with a selected specialize in the stairs that result in the construction of winning ideas, so that it will provide to the reader anything greater than only a set of tricks
Read or Download A Guide to Kernel Exploitation: Attacking the Core PDF
Similar hacking books
"This terribly strong e-book demonstrates how totally we lack the shared supranational instruments had to struggle cybercrime. crucial examining. " --Roberto Saviano, writer of Gommorah
The merits of dwelling in a electronic, globalized society are huge, immense; so too are the hazards. the area has develop into a legislations enforcer’s nightmare and each criminal’s dream. We financial institution on-line; store on-line; date, study, paintings and reside on-line. yet have the associations that preserve us secure at the streets discovered to guard us within the burgeoning electronic global? Have we turn into complacent approximately our own security—sharing our concepts, ideals and the main points of our day-by-day lives with an individual who may perhaps care to alleviate us of them?
In this interesting and compelling publication, Misha Glenny, writer of the overseas most sensible vendor McMafia, explores the 3 primary threats dealing with us within the twenty-first century: cybercrime, cyberwarfare and cyberindustrial espionage. Governments and the personal region are wasting billions of bucks every year struggling with an ever-morphing, usually invisible and infrequently supersmart new breed of legal: the hacker.
Glenny has traveled and trawled the realm. via exploring the increase and fall of the felony web site DarkMarket he has exposed the main shiny, alarming and illuminating tales. even if JiLsi or Matrix, Iceman, grasp Splynter or Lord Cyric; no matter if Detective Sergeant Chris Dawson in Scunthorpe, England, or Agent Keith Mularski in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, Glenny has tracked down and interviewed all of the players—the criminals, the geeks, the police, the safety specialists and the victims—and he areas everybody and every thing in a wealthy brew of politics, economics and heritage.
The result's easily unputdownable. DarkMarket is authoritative and entirely engrossing. It’s a must-read for everybody who makes use of a working laptop or computer: the basic crime e-book for our instances.
Enforce bulletproof e-business defense the confirmed Hacking uncovered way
Defend opposed to the newest Web-based assaults by way of your net functions in the course of the eyes of a malicious intruder. absolutely revised and up to date to hide the most recent internet exploitation options, Hacking uncovered net purposes, moment variation indicates you, step by step, how cyber-criminals goal weak websites, achieve entry, thieve serious info, and execute devastating assaults. the entire state-of-the-art threats and vulnerabilities are lined in complete aspect along real-world examples, case reports, and battle-tested countermeasures from the authors' stories as grey hat protection professionals.
• learn how hackers use infrastructure and alertness profiling to accomplish reconnaissance and input susceptible systems
• Get info on exploits, evasion innovations, and countermeasures for the preferred net structures, together with IIS, Apache, personal home page, and ASP. NET
• examine the strengths and weaknesses of universal internet authentication mechanisms, together with password-based, multifactor, and unmarried sign-on mechanisms like Passport
• See the best way to excise the center of any internet application's entry controls via complex consultation research, hijacking, and fixation techniques
• locate and fasten enter validation flaws, together with cross-site scripting (XSS), SQL injection, HTTP reaction splitting, encoding, and precise personality abuse
• Get an in-depth presentation of the latest SQL injection options, together with blind assaults, complicated exploitation via subqueries, Oracle exploits, and more suitable countermeasures
• know about the newest XML internet prone hacks, internet administration assaults, and DDoS assaults, together with click on fraud
• travel Firefox and IE exploits, in addition to the most recent socially-driven purchaser assaults like phishing and spyware
The global game console industry passed $10 billion in 2003. present revenues of recent consoles is consolidated round three significant businesses and their proprietary systems: Nintendo, Sony and Microsoft. moreover, there's a big put in "retro gaming" base of Ataria and Sega console lovers.
- Managing A Network Vulnerability Assessment
- Cyber Spying Tracking Your Family's (Sometimes) Secret Online Lives
- Hacking Exposed: Web Applications (3rd Edition)
- WarDriving and Wireless Penetration Testing
Extra info for A Guide to Kernel Exploitation: Attacking the Core
An Exploit Writer’s View of the Kernel We just briefly explained what “having a backing process” implies: that a lot of process-specific information is available and ready to be used by the kernel path without having to explicitly load or look for it. This means a variable that holds this information relative to the current process is kept inside the kernel and is changed anytime a process is scheduled on the CPU. A large number of kernel functions consume this variable, thereby acting based on the information associated to the backing process.
Userptr, src + buf->offset, sd->len);  buf->ops->unmap(pipe, buf, src); […] } The first part of the snippet comes from the vmsplice_to_user() function and gets the destination pointer at  using get_user(). That destination pointer is never validated and is passed, through , to __splice_from_pipe(), along with pipe_to_user() as the helper function. This function also does not perform any checks and ends up calling __copy_to_user_inatomic() at . We will discuss in the rest of the book the various ways to copy, from inside kernel land, to and from user space; for now, it’s enough to know that Linux functions starting with a “__” (such as __copy_to_user_inatomic()) don’t perform any checks on the supplied destination (or source) user pointer.
You can execute a specific system call), you clearly control the lower portion of the address space. Now assume that you found a kernel vulnerability that allows you to redirect the execution flow wherever you want. Wouldn’t it be nice to just redirect it to some address you know and control in user land? That is exactly what systems implementing a kernel space on behalf of user space allow you to do. Because the kernel page table entries are replicated over the process page tables, a single virtual address space composed of the kernel portion plus your process user-land mappings is active and you are free to dereference a pointer inside it.
A Guide to Kernel Exploitation: Attacking the Core by Enrico Perla B.Sc. Computer Science University of Torino M.Sc. Computer Science Trinity College Dublin, Massimiliano Oldani